Coloradoan wins $7 million in popcorn lung lawsuit

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

DENVER (AP) -- A suburban Denver man who was diagnosed with "popcorn lung," possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate, has won a $7.2 million verdict against various food companies.

Wayne Watson's attorney, Ken McClain, said a federal jury granted the award Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc. after he developed respiratory problems in 2007.

Watson previously settled claims against the flavor developer FONA International Inc., formerly Flavors of North America Inc.

Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.

KCNC-TV in Denver reports defense attorneys had argued Watson's health problems stemmed not from popcorn but from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 170496766 - nbc11news.com/a?a=170496766
Gray Television, Inc.