Illness outbreak at local middle school

By: Myranda Hoffman Email
By: Myranda Hoffman Email

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - An unusual end to the week at a local middle school as an illness outbreak hits more than 100 students.

102 kids went home from Orchard Mesa Middle School today with what school officials are saying is a form of intestinal virus or stomach flu.

That's about one-fifth of the school.

The school will be completely disinfected this weekend. No plans have been made to cancel classes on Monday.

We will continue to update this story as we learn more.

• by james on Mar 25, 2012 at 09:31 PM
    We as parents need to be more informed as to what goes on at our local schools and what the staff is doing to ensure the food is ok to eat or if someone is using dirty rags ... pop in on your kids an talk with teachers too many of parents send their kids off and assume they will be fine and yet when something like this happens everyone starts pointing fingers at the school and staffers ... first 4 letters of teacher are TEACH and the parents need to be more that just parents and Talk with your kids at dinner time, Ask questions, Get answers if something is bothering you or you child, teen, your job doesn't end when they leave you in the car and you drive off
      by Anonymous on Mar 26, 2012 at 07:45 AM in reply to james
      "First 4 letter of teacher are TEACH?" Thanks for the laugh, I needed on on a Monday morning.
      by james on Mar 26, 2012 at 05:53 PM in reply to james
      aww shoot first 5 letters thanks to Anonymous for the correction
  • by Parent Location: GJ on Mar 25, 2012 at 07:55 PM
    Maybe they cleaned the Drinking Fountain with a Toilet brush like they did at GJHS...
      by Anonymous on Mar 25, 2012 at 08:43 PM in reply to Parent
      Or maybe you forgot to use paper towel when you wiped and shook a kids hand from that school and transmitted the hepatitus virus. I think thats the cause
  • by Anonymous Location: GJ on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    I have a family member who attends at OMMS and she came home with mono. The doctor finally diagnosed it. There's also an outbreak of mono there apparently.
  • by Concerned parent Location: OM on Mar 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    I just think it would have been nice for the school to let all of the parents of OMMS kids know rather than finding out through the grapevine and on the news!! We had no idea anything was going on or that we might want to keep an eye on our son just in case. Very poor communication!!!
  • by A STUDENT on Mar 25, 2012 at 06:26 AM
    As a student at OMMS I think it was neither pink slime, dirty towel (the table washer is really cool and keeps tables clean all the time)or the food, because I was sick Friday morning and I didn't eat any food at school much less go into the lunch room.My guess is someone brought some rapid sickness in from the outside of the school causing almost everybody to be sick. The only reason I keep checking this though is that I'm not sure if we will have school Monday.
  • by skeptical on Mar 25, 2012 at 05:59 AM
    Dirty wash cloth?Spoiled OJ?I imagine someone will soon point to this as proof of the validity of Mayan prophecy.How about we let the Health Dept. do its job? Although,obviously,it was a sasquatch poisoning conspiracy.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2012 at 09:43 AM
    I have two kids who go to this school and they eat the school lunch. They are both fine. There are a lot of germs going around according to the doctors office.
  • by not food Location: GJ on Mar 24, 2012 at 09:04 AM
    IT WASN'T THE SCHHOOL FOOD!!! My daughter brings her lunch and she still got really sick. It wasn't a dirty towel either cuz I know the janitor there and he is good at his job.
  • by Daddy D Location: GJ on Mar 24, 2012 at 07:46 AM
    This sounds like a classic case of Nora Virus, this can be food born or tranferred from a towel, hands etc... It only take a few particles of the virus to make you ill. It is common on cruise ships...
  • by ananymous on Mar 24, 2012 at 07:27 AM
    My son who took his lunch to school is sick. My daughter who ate school lunch is healthy. Hmm. Maybe a dirty wash cloth cleaning lunch tables???
  • Page:

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 144040826 - nbc11news.com/a?a=144040826