Grand Junction, COLO. (KKCO)_Alert neighbors in Fruita managed to stop a house fire before it spread.
According to the Lower Valley Fire Protection District, Wednesday night, a fire started in the attic of an empty home on Claremont Drive.
Fire officials say neighbors heard the fire alarm go off and went over to investigate.
Once firefighters arrived, they say they found the small blaze in the attic.
They say it was difficult to extinguish, because they had to chase the flames through the small crawl space.
Investigators say the fire started from a malfunctioning water heater. No one was living in the home at the time.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.