UPDATE: Amazon no longer selling guide for pedophile

By: NBC Email
By: NBC Email

Updated @ 1:02 p.m. NEW YORK (AP) - Amazon is no longer selling a self-published guide for pedophiles.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Amazon.com Inc. had pulled the item, or whether the author withdrew it. Amazon did not immediately return messages Thursday.

The book, “The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: A Child-lover's Code of Conduct,” offers advice to pedophiles on how to make a sexual encounter with a child as safe as possible. It includes first-person descriptions of such encounters, purportedly written from a child's point of view.

Once discovered Wednesday, the book triggered outrage from commenters on sites such as twitter. Some people threatened to boycott the online store until Amazon removed the book. Two petitions on facebook alone won more than 13,500 supporters.
(COPYRIGHT 2010 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)
_________________________________________________________

PUEBLO, Colo. (KKCO) - It has the twitter universe up in arms, the comments section on Amazon.com flooded with angry messages, and now an online petition. So what’s causing all the anger? “The Pedophile’s Guide to Love and Pleasure: A Child Lover’s Code of Conduct.” As you would bet, a book with a title like that, has people are nothing short of stunned.

“It’s offensive. It’s dangerous. It’s on a Kindle”, exclaimed Bernita Mirisola of the Upper East Side. “It’s out there to the masses. I’m very upset by it.

Everyone seems to be upset by the book, that is everyone except 47 year old Phillip Grieves II of Pueblo, Colorado.

“To tell you the truth I don’t think it’s always bad for the child”, Grieves told reporters. “But I do think it’s always confining for the adult because there are just so many more things that adults can enjoy with each other that they can enjoy with a child without hurting the child.”

The screed, which is only available through amazon.com as an e-book on the kindle, has been on sale since October 28th, but it wasn’t until this week when the angry comments flooded in and a petition was started that Grieves sold any copies. 72 were bought by the time we spoke with him that evening.

“I’m saying, if you’re going to be in this situation handle it this way because this way is less traumatizing to the child than what could’ve occurred otherwise without using those principles,” argued Grieves.

One in four girls and one in six boys are molested before the age of 18 in this country, according to Anthony Zenkus, of the Coalition Against Child Abuse and Neglect. Zenkus says he’s troubled by the assumption in Grieves’ book that pedophiles don’t always hurt their victims, but rather that they “are always putting the juveniles pleasure and happiness first.”

“Whether or not the act is physically harmful for a child,” explains Zenkus, “it’s psychologically and socially harmful for a child.”

Over the phone Wednesday night, I asked Grieves the following questions. “Did you have a sexual experience with an adult when you were a child? As an adult have you had a sexual experience with a child? Grieves answered both questions with a “no”. Then I asked what makes him knowledgeable on this subject? He answered, “projection.”

In a statement to CNBC Amazon.com said, "Amazon believes it is censorship not to sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable. Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions."

If you were abused or know someone who has been there are a number of resources available to you. Here are some of the website’s of groups here in New York where help can be found.

The Coalition Against Child Abuse and Neglect:: http://www.ccanli.org/
American Humane Association: http://www.americanhumane.org/
Children’s Rights: http://www.childrensrights.org/
Safe Horizon: http://www.safehorizon.org/index.php

• by Leslie Location: a mom on Nov 13, 2010 at 07:03 AM
    When people are talikng about "rights" and free speech, I think they are forgetting about the rights of the children, the innocent ones. They have rights, too. Rights to grow up without people abusing them, and damaging them for pleasure.
  • by Liza on Nov 12, 2010 at 08:30 PM
    This is really disgusting! I was molested by my grand father and believe me there was NO pleasure! This is really repulsive that a company would even allow this to be sold!They should not be protecting him at all, this book should be destroyed and every one out there that it is similar to it! A pedophile moved in a few blocks away from my home and I don't want this scumbag to read the book and get any ideas.
  • by Lynn Location: Grand Junction on Nov 12, 2010 at 02:28 PM
    I agree with Father of 2. He WILL burn in hell. That is what the Bible says about child molesters. He has NO rights.
  • by Paul Location: Mesa County on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    This makes me sad that this man feels he has to teach somthing that is horrible.I wish every book is used for kindaling.Burn every copie.
  • by father of 2 Location: gj on Nov 12, 2010 at 07:20 AM
    as a father of 2 i am disgusted by the rights of these sick individuals! they have no rights, they have the right to rott in He@&!! Death penalty for all child molesters!!!!!
  • by Anonymous Location: GJ on Nov 11, 2010 at 09:27 PM
    @Unbelievable: Taking away those rights would allow the Government to go after anyone they "think" is doing something illegal, including you. Making it personal to you: Maybe you have hacked into someone else's internet to write on this board, we don't know, you should be investigated! Just because someone bought this vile book, does not mean that they should be investigated, singled out, or tried for a crime. Is it a crime to read about this? People read about rape, killing, and sexual fantasies all the time, should these people be investigated? NO! Our American rights should NEVER be infringed upon by any government. Innocent until proven guilty beyond any and all doubt is the policy. Until someone is convicted, and proven guilty, they have every right you have, and that is the American way of life. The Author self-published this book, probably because no one else wanted to have anything to do with it. This just shows that companies like Amazon.com need to pay more attention.
  • by Gj Voter Location: GJ on Nov 11, 2010 at 08:04 PM
    Janet Rowland's new soapbox...awesome...
  • by aceatherton Location: clifton on Nov 11, 2010 at 04:44 PM
    APparently my last post was not approved. So I will try to tone it down....to let something like this be published is horrific and disgusting. As someone who was molested as a child, I find this unimaginable. ALL child molesters should be cast away to a desolute island where no child could ever be harmed. I'm afraid to let my kids go to their friends houses because you never know who is out to hurt them. In my opinion this book is an admission of guilt. Stating that this monster has molested children. If anyone ever tried to hurt my children, I would be willing to serve a life sentence to make sure it never happened again. Mr. Grieves judgement day for you should be interesting. I hope God tapes it and puts it on youtube pig!
  • by Unbelievable Location: GJ on Nov 11, 2010 at 02:21 PM
    I agree publish who bought these books and allow authorities to question them, oh wait they are guarded by rights, we need to start taking away some of those rights of these type of people and I agree with "Anonymous" & "Heather". Who in gods name was the publisher? Thank you Amazon for taking this off your shelves.
  • by Sorry to see this in Pueblo Location: Pueblo Colorado on Nov 11, 2010 at 01:32 PM
    I live in Pueblo Colorado and I am ashamed to see this coming out of our city. I will be sure to give this man my two cents if I ever see him. He is a very sick and disturbed person.
  • Page:

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 107196749 - nbc11news.com/a?a=107196749