Fire destroys camper at KOA campground

By: Cecile Juliette Email
By: Cecile Juliette Email

MESA COUNTY, Colo. (KKCO) - The blaze broke out just after 5:00am Thursday.

According to the Grand Junction Fire Department, one man was asleep in the camper when he woke up to smoke and flames. At this point, it's unclear if he had a smoke detector. Fire officials suspect the blaze was sparked by a space heater.

The sole occupant was able to get out of the camper quickly. Firefighters arrived within minutes and were able to knock down the flames just a few minutes later, but the smoke billowed out through the windows and the door for at least a half hour.

Firefighters were worried about the fire spreading to nearby campers, just feet away, but they were able to prevent that from happening.

The camper was completely destoyed. No injuries were reported.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113003464