One year later: The Kyle Free murder case

By  | 

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT) -- It's been a year since investigators believe Kyle Free was murdered in a garage in Clifton. Thursday, his family remembered him.

"Today has been very difficult for me," Robin Graham, Kyle's mom, said. "Just knowing that I was carrying on my normal life and didn't really know what had happened to my little boy."

Even though he was murdered on this day last year, Graham wouldn't know for another seven months that her son was truly gone.

"Just him missing for seven months was driving us crazy," she said.

An arrest affidavit shows that Free's girlfriend at the time, Rebecca Walker, locked Free in her garage and hid in her closet that night. She says Free was angry.

Walker mentioned to police that Free had previously been having problems with meth, which forced local officials to remove Walker's children, but it's not clear in the affidavit if Free was on drugs the night he was murdered.

Walker then called John Eddy, who showed up with David Castro. Eddy is believed to have pulled the trigger, shooting and killing Free.

The affidavit goes on to say that in the days following Walker stepped over Free's body several times to get food from her freezer, she attempted to burn Free's tattoos off and ended up putting his body in a plastic tub.

She then called Timothy Russman, who showed up with Nathan Ryan, according to the affidavit. They allegedly buried the body on a remote part of the Mesa.

It wasn't until seven months later that those five people were charged and Free's body was found.

Now, a year later, the Free family spending a good chunk of their time in court.

"I've been fortunate enough to make every court hearing except for one," Graham said. "I continue to make every court hearing."

Rebecca Walker will be in court Monday, April 15, for a preliminary hearing. Walker is one of three people arrested for the actual murder itself.

John Eddy and David Castro are also being charged with first-degree murder and have similar hearings between now and June.

The two men accused of moving and burying the body are being charged with accessory charges and abuse of a corpse.

Timothy Russman was the only person who was able to bond out. He has a review hearing next Friday, April 19.

Nathan Ryan waived his preliminary hearing and is expected to enter a plea on May 6.

"Kyle was just a good person, he was full of laughter and corny jokes," Graham said. "I just want his memory to live on, the person that he was."



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus