Fire along I-70 started by burning cigarette butt, MCSO says

By  | 

CAMEO, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT) -- The Mesa County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday confirmed a burning cigarette butt sparked a wildfire along I-70 near Cameo on Tuesday afternoon.

The fire broke around noon near Exit 46 and quickly grew to 25 acres.

More than 50 homes along Rapid Creek Road got an emergency notification about the fire.

At one point after the fire 'jumped' the interstate, but the flames were quickly put under control and no evacuations or pre-evacuations were ordered.

The interstate was shut down for hours between Palisade and De Beque.

Crews are doing 'back burns' on the fire to ensure that all hot spots are put out and nothing reignites.

As of Wednesday morning, I-70 was completely reopened.




 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus