Man in police related incident in Delta has been pronounced dead according to St. Mary's Medical Center

By  | 

DELTA, Colo (KKCO/KJCT)-- St. Mary’s Medical Center pronounced that Mark Arnold Porter, 33 of Delta, Colorado, has died. Porter was involved in a police-related incident on August 18 in Delta, where he attempted to flee law enforcement after they responded to a report of a man breaking into vehicles. Porter acknowledged to police that he was on Methamphetamine.

Police were originally called out to the 40 Heinz Mobile Home Park on a report of a suspicious person possibly breaking into cars. Officers arrived on the scene and saw Porter, who was acting very afraid and confused, causing the officers to be concerned for his well-being.

Porter admitted to the officers on the scene that he was on a very large dose of Methamphetamine. During the exchange, Porter attempted to leave the scene and walked into a narrow walk-way between a mobile home and a wooden fence.

Porter was having an extremely difficult time controlling his body movements and was not listening to authorities and ended up tearing the fence apart and throwing pieces of wood at the officers. An officer sustained minor injuries from this incident.

After multiple attempts to convince Porter to cooperate, officers went and tried to assist Porter, but he attempted to fight the officers.

Officers tried their Tasers on Porter but found it was ineffective on him.

Officers then decided to back off and eventually, Porter came out of the small walkway. His movements were still very sporadic and uncontrolled as he attempted to move away from the scene.

The officers then tackled the struggling Porter, as he kicked, turned and tried to flee himself from the officers.

Paramedic’s attempted to help Porter, who became limp and unresponsive during the struggle with the officers.

Handcuffs were removed, and paramedics took over and took Porter to the Delta County Memorial Hospital. The emergency room staff determined he needed to be transferred, so they immediately transferred Porter to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Grand Junction.

Treatment was ultimately unsuccessful and Porter was pronounced dead on August 21, 2019.

Due to the nature of the incident and the officer’s “use of force,” the Seventh Judicial District Critical Incident Investigation Team was requested to respond and investigate the incident. The investigation is ongoing and the names of the officers involved are being withheld at this time.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus