GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT)-- On September 11, Health officials with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment issued a health advisory after four cases of cryptosporidiosis were confirmed, which officials say all four people were recently at Glenwood Hot Springs Resort.
“They were all visitors at our Sopris Splash Zone, our kids play area, on August 18th,” says Vice President of Glenwood Hot Springs Resort, John Bosco.
The cryptosporidiosis was discovered only in the children’s area, the Sopris Splash Zone. Staff says that the other pools at the resort have also been tested.
“Somebody was obviously in the water and transmitted the crypto to the water. It was not detected, it was not reported, we had no way of knowing it occurred,” says Bosco.
Cryptosporidiosis is a parasite that can cause diarrheal disease, and the most common way for the parasite to spread is by water. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, abdominal pain/cramps, nausea, vomiting, fever, and weight loss. Individuals presenting signs of illness should not swim in any bodies of water while experiencing symptoms and for at least two weeks after diarrhea stops.
“We just feel so badly for anybody that’s been affected by this; that’s not what we’re here for,” says Bosco.
Staff says that the kids area is closed during the week this time of year anyways, but immediately began disinfection work.
“We believe we have completely rectified the situation and have done a very serious, very thorough disinfection protocol as recommended by the county health department,” says Bosco.
Staff says that to be extra cautious they will not be reopening the kids zone this season. It will be up and running next Spring as scheduled. Both the hot springs pools and the Adventure River Ride will remain open and operational as normal.
“It has really caught us off guard and we try to well exceed what is required of us by the state in terms of how to operate a swimming pool,” says Bosco.
The resort announced in a press release, "We are deeply sorry and apologize to any of our visitors who have had a negative experience related to this incident."