State issues protocol for graduations
The Department of Education released guidance on graduation ceremonies that follow safe practices during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Gatherings larger than 10 are not permitted.
- Vulnerable individuals must remain at home.
- Individuals who are sick must remain at home.
- All participants should be screened for fever and symptoms before entering.
- All participants, including graduates, administrators, guests, or family members, must remain at least six feet apart at all times.
- Mark 6 feet sections to help individuals understand what 6 feet looks like. You can use small flags, tape, balloons, etc. Indicate that people should stand on or by the markers and remain 6 feet from each other.
- To comply with the six-foot spacing, handshaking and hugs should not occur.
- If chairs are provided, they must be disinfected before and after use by school staff using proper protocol.
- All participants must wear cloth face coverings at all times.
- Ceremonies must be held outside.
- Inside ceremonies cannot occur.
- Diplomas, awards, medals, programs, etc. must not be handed out.
- Sharing or exchanging materials of any kind poses an increased risk for transmission/spread of COVID-19 and must not occur. (Throwing graduation caps, "Sign-in" practices, gifts, flowers, etc).