GJPD says 17-year-old man killed in officer-involved shooting after fighting with father

By  | 

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. During a press conference Wednesday afternoon, Grand Junction Police Chief John Camper identified the suspect shot and killed by officers on Tuesday night as a 17-year-old man fleeing a fight with his father on the Redlands.

Chief Camper addressed the media at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday and laid out what their preliminary investigation has revealed.

The story begins around 5:45 p.m. Tuesday night.

According to Chief Camper, a 17-year-old man was fighting with his father at their home on the Redlands when he fled in a silver pickup truck, believed to be his father's.

The father suffered injuries during the altercation, however the severity of his injuries are unknown at this time.

The 17-year-old left the home with what Chief Camper described as a long gun and a backpack of ammunition. It is unknown at this time if he had a previous criminal history.

He proceeded to travel down Broadway towards downtown Grand Junction at a high rate of speed. Near the intersection of 8th Street and Grand Avenue he crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with a man riding a motorcycle.

Pending the Mesa County Coroner's report, Chief Camper said they believe the victim was killed during the collision with the suspect.

KKCO 11 News has obtained the identity of the victim killed while riding a motorcycle, but we have chosen not to release his name pending the Coroner's report.

Witnesses say the 17-year-old then exited the vehicle and fired the long gun at least one time, aimed in a southwesterly direction, striking a nearby occupied vehicle that had stopped for the accident.

From there the suspect walked - gun in hand - to the area between Gunnison Avenue and Hill Avenue on 10th Street, near Washington Park.

At approximately 5:55 p.m. he approached a SUV with a mother and two children sitting inside. The woman inside the SUV says she watched the young man man walking up to her vehicle, and she tried to start the SUV and leave before he arrived.

She was unable to start the SUV in time, and the 17-year-old forcefully ordered her and her kids to get out of the SUV. They did as they were told and began to run away from the vehicle.

Shortly thereafter officers engaged the young man, and an unidentified officer shot him.

The 17-year-old was treated at the scene and transported to an area hospital, where he later died.

At this time there is no search for other suspects, and they believe everyone involved in the incident has been accounted for.

No one else, including first responders, was injured in the incident.

The officer that shot the suspect is currently on administrative leave, and Chief Camper says he's a 17 year veteran of the GJPD with even more experience at other agencies.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus